Introduction: A Perfect Twist

I apply a LOT of twisted wire in my art. So looking virtually for skilful ideas on different things I could do, I noticed there was no instructable (at least that I could find) for twisting wire. Even with all the really not bad instructables available on the site, I still couldn't find i.  Of class this doesn't mean in that location isn't one, but I thought I might share this petty secret on how to twist wire hands, and get the perfect twist.  I have seen a lot of people trying to twist wire by paw, and having a hard time just to go inferior results, and I have seen "manual wire twisting" gadgets that cost a fortune.  Only why spend anymore than what yous absolutely accept to, especially when the easiest fashion to twist a perfect wire is past using things you probably already take effectually the house.

For this instructable you will demand:
Wire cutters to cut the wire
Wire - any pretty much any guage tin exist used determined on what you demand the twisted wire for
A phillips head screw driver, the longer the improve so you can concur onto it while twisting
A ability drill ( I personally adopt to use my married man'south cordless, simply considering there is no cord to deal with and I don't have to find a identify to plug it in)

And even though I didn't mention it, or put them in the photo, you really should protect your eyes!

Pace one: Cutting the Wire and Fold It in One-half

Call back you volition need more than twice the length of wire you would require for a unmarried wire peice.  You will be doubling the wire over, and you volition lose a certain amount of wire in the process of twisting.   I don't recommend twisting more than the length you can stretch your arm to concord (see the photo as an illustation).  You can twist a longer amount if you have someone or something to hold the opposite end, only since I generally accept no volunteers when information technology comes to working around me and ability tools, I stick to the shorter lengths and make do every bit I can.

I cut a 20 inch piece of wire for this project, and after twisting and trimming I had a v inch slice left.  This will vary for the guage of wire and the amount of twisting practical.

Pace ii: Secure the Wire in the Drill Chuck

You lot will demand to carefully insert the ii cut ends of the wire into the drill chuck. It needs to be placed in the center, and be certain not to have the sides go caught as the chuck is closing.  The wire will pull from the chuck unless information technology is firmly secured dead centre.

Step 3: Secure the Wire So You Tin Begin Twisting

Once you have closed the chuck effectually the wire, you lot might desire to give it a practiced tug to see if it volition pull out.  Mine come out near twenty% of the time, even when I have checked and double checked the placement.
Insert the phillip head spiral driver between the two wire and movement it down to the looped finish (where the wire was doubled over).  Pull the wire taut so that it will twist evenly when the drill is started.

Step 4: Twist the Wire....

Showtime the drill while standing to concur the screwdriver stop taut (exist careful as the forcefulness from the drill can pull the screw driver from your hand and possiby injure you)

This might be a good fourth dimension to mention again that anytime you are working with ability tools you should vesture appropriate eye protection.

Stride 5: The Twisted Wire Is Done!

Y'all can twist the wire equally fast as you are comfortable with, but don't go and so dull that the wire begins to twist on itself.  Remember y'all MUST concur the wire as taut every bit you drill so that it will twist evenly.

When the wire is completely twisted, it volition break on information technology'southward own.  You tin can release the chuck and remove the ii small peices of wire that are left in the chuck.

Slide the looped cease from the phillips caput and y'all accept a nice, evenly and tightly twisted piece of wire to use for whatever the purpose is you planned.  You lot besides have a nice loop with a strong twisted wire on information technology if y'all want to use it that way.  It makes a great hanger for objects it can be soldered onto.

Pace half-dozen: Now What to Do With the Wire.....

 Someone asked me to post something I utilise the wire for.  I accept been really busy with family matters lately, merely I did get a risk to get out into the shop and put together a few things.  For a couple of them, I used some twisted wire.  This is just i of the means I used some of information technology.
I aptitude the wire to course a treble clef, and the letter S to make a glass middle for my niece who loves music.  I added the pieces to a "pickle" in order to clean them and aid stop any oxidation of the metal during the firing process of the kiln.
I collected a big number of various pieces of COE 96 glass, and put them in a porcelain heart mold.  I added the wire pieces and covered it with clear COE 96 drinking glass.  I fused it (and there will be an instructable to come on glass fusing when I get things caught up hither).  The result was the piece y'all see.

1 Person Made This Project!

Recommendations

  • Anything Goes Competition

    Anything Goes Contest